ISSN : 1301-5680
e-ISSN : 2149-8156
TURKISH JOURNAL OF
THORACIC AND
CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY
Turkish Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery     
Mitral Valve Reconstruction with Carpentier Techniques: Early and intermediate term results of 129 cases
B. KINOĞLU,S. BİLAL, L DEGRİECK, R. DE GEEST, F. WELLENS, H. VANERMAN
İstanbul Üniversitesi Kardiyoloji Enstitüsü Kalp-Damar Cerrahisi Anabilim Dalı
Between October 1989 and July 1993 mitral valve reconstruction with Carpentier Techniques was accomplished in 129 patients (Ages between 26 and 84 years-mean 63.2 years). Etiology of the mitral valve disease was degenerative in 64 (49.6%), ischemic in 29 (22.5%), rheumatic in 27 (20.9%) and bacterial endocarditis in 8 patients (6.2%). According to patho-anatomic classification, 31 were in grup l (24%), 76 were in group II (59%) and 14 patients were in group III (11%), Additional sur- gical procedures were; myocardial revascularization in 51, aortic valve replasment in 17, tricus- pid annuloplasty in 10, atrial septal defect closure in 3 patients. 69.7% of the patients were in NYHA class 111-1V. There was no operative mortality. in the early postoperative period 2 patients from the isolated reconstruction group (1.5%) and 4 patients from the combined reconstruction group (3.1%) were lost (Total mortality:4.6%). One mortality was due to thromboembolic compli- cation (0.8%), Significant mitral insufficiency obliged 4 reoperations in the early postoperative period (3-1%). Follow-up was91.4% (118 patients) and 384.7 patients years (Min. 7 months-max. 53 months.) 83% were in NYHA Class l, 11.9% were in Class II 5.1% were in Class III efort capacity. Echokardiographic controls showed no regurgitation in 74.6%, (+) regurgitation in 16.1% and (++) regurgitation in 6.8% of the patients. Because there is a Iow incidence of thromboemboli compli- rations and reoperation, we believe that reconstructive procedures in mitral valve surgery should he applied every suitable patient.
Viewed : 6839
Downloaded : 2