ISSN : 1301-5680
e-ISSN : 2149-8156
Turkish Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery     
ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OF ALKALINE BATTERY IN CHILDREN
İbrahim Can Kürkçüoğlu, Atilla Eroğlu, Celal Tekinbaş, Nurettin Karaoğlanoğlu
Atatürk Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Göğüs Cerrahisi Ana Bilim Dalı, Erzurum
Alkaline batteries found in eosophagus as foreign bodies are dangerous because they may have a corrosive action due to release of concentrated potassium hydroxide and can produce perforation and mediastinitis. Batteries found in the eosophagus should be removed endoscopically as quickly as possible. We reported a case of accidental battery ingestion by a three-year old boy and reviewed the literatures, discussed the special aspects of this foreign body. Due to the common use of these batteries, physicians and the general public should be more aware of these types of foreign bodies and the peculiarities in their management.
Keywords : Alkaline battery, eosophagus, foreign body
Viewed : 10745
Downloaded : 2235