ISSN : 1301-5680
e-ISSN : 2149-8156
Turkish Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery     
Vedat Erentuğ, Denyan Mansuroğlu, Nilgün Ulusoy Bozbuğa, Hasan Basri Erdoğan, Murat Güçlü Elevli, Ebru Bal, Hakan Akbayrak, Kaan Kırali, Mehmet Balkanay, Gökhan İpek, Esat Akıncı, Mete Alp, Cevat Yakut
Koşuyolu Kalp Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Kalp Damar Cerrahisi Kliniği, İstanbul
Background: The purpose of our study is to evaluate the predictors of surgical therapy of the patients with acute arterial occlusion caused by embolous or morbidity of catheterization.

Methods: Between February 1985 to September 2002, 318 patients (186 male and 132 female) with a mean age 56.5 ± 13.3 years (ranged 3 to 84 years) were analyzed. Only 204 patients (64.2%) were admitted to hospital with in 12 hours, the other 114 patients (35.8%) over 12 hours after acute occlusion. The occlusion sites were femoro-popliteal region (74.8%), followed by brachial (18.8%), inferopopliteal and distal (4.4%), iliac (1.9%) regions. The most frequent reasons of the occlusions were cardiac in 208 cases (67.1%).

Results: Reembolectomy required in 8.5% cases that occured after upper extremity embolectomy in 5 cases and lower extremity embolectomy in 22 cases. Faciotomy was done in 15 cases (4.7%),all occured after lower extremity procedures. Amputation of relevant extremity, 6 of them above knee and 9 of them below knee, after demarcasion were performed in 15 cases (4.7%).

Conclusions: Acute arterial occlusions are serious clinical entity require early diagnosis and urgent surgical interventions for preventing high mortality and morbidity.

Keywords : Embolus, ischemia, acute arterial occlusion, faciotomy, embolectomy
Viewed : 21970
Downloaded : 3317